LEE’S SUMMIT, MO (March 25, 2008) — On April 1, 2008, the Blue Springs, Grain Valley, Grandview, Independence and Lee’s Summit Economic Development Councils will join forces to sponsor an informative seminar on state and local incentives to help bolster business in Eastern Jackson County (EJC). The program will focus on resources for companies in the manufacturing, warehouse distribution, office, high-tech and medical-life science industries.
The workshop will be held April 1 from 8 a.m. to noon at the Hilton Garden Inn in Independence. The seminar is free and will feature Mike Downing, Co-Director of the Missouri Department of Economic Development Division. Downing will discuss the availability of tax, finance and training incentives available to EJC companies. He will detail state incentive programs, as well as how to qualify and apply for them. Additional topics of discussion will include:
· State Training Funds – Learn how to utilize state funds to train new employees and improve productivity of current employees from Andrew Filla and Stan Fields, with the Metropolitan Community College Business & Technology Campus and Skip James, from the Missouri Career Center
· Smart Port – Chris Guiterrez, President of KC Smart Port will discuss the new certification training program for distribution employees.
· Local Incentives Panel Discussion – Tim Cowden of the Kansas City Area Economic Development Council (KCADC) will moderate as panelists from area cities discuss local incentives and answer questions. Panelists include:
- Eric Johnson, City Manager of Blue Springs
- Gary Bradley, City Administrator of Grain Valley
- Alan Kenyon, Economic Development Director – City of Grandview
- Robert Heacock, City Manager of Independence
- Greg Foss, Director of Development with Lee’s Summit
“We invite companies in these target industries to take advantage of this opportunity to learn about the business tools available to them directly from the experts who manage the incentive programs,” says Teresa Evans, Vice President of the Lee’s Summit Economic Development Council. “By partnering with other economic development organizations in Eastern Jackson County our collective goal is to grow business for the entire region in the face of increased competition.”
To attend this event, register by March 27, 2008 by visiting https://www.123signup.com/servlet/SignUpMember?PG=1520554182300&P=1520554191156613800 For more information or questions about this event, contact one of the EJC economic development councils:
Blue Springs Economic Development Corporation
Grandview Area Chamber of Commerce
Independence Council for Economic Development
Lee’s Summit Economic Development Council